Thursday, August 10, 2006

 

The church needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.

We've all heard of the phrase:
'A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle.'
But really, when that phrase was coined, the 20th century church already was no place for men. With so much focus on women and children already, they might as well said "the church needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" -- and they (we?) have effectively kicked out "real" men. Only the geekly and/or scholarly types are left in the modern church -- which deters "real" men even more.

Note (8/11 update): I've left "real" in quotes above since I'm talking of men like construction workers, fishermen and gangbangers who would get excited over a sport's game with a beer in one hand but couldn't care less about Jesus Christ other than as one of their expletive vocabularies. The kind of "real men" Jesus called in the New Testament (and I believe, today as well): Peter, Andrew, John and James were fishermen while Matthew was a tax collector [more like Mafioso or gangbanger of today]. Simon the zealot: the name saids it all [I imagine him to be more of William Wallace (of the "Braveheart" fame)]. There may have been some scholarly men called, but I not aware of any....

Copyright 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.

-- background on this blog entry --

While I started commenting at RightNation.us to point to my blog, I remembered cowboy church and googled to find a cowboy church directory. Pretty cool. However, I don't like the emphasis on boys (which is why I don't like "Boy Scouts" -- I don't want my teenage sons to aspire to be boys but men). And I don't want cows to be required, either.

And as I typed some more, I remembered the well know phrase above and twisted it to be my blog entry title!

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?