Friday, July 08, 2005

 

Affirming Men: part 2 of reaching men

The other part of the story with Jim and Bill in "Raising a Modern Knight" is the ending:

Bill asked two questions: "Jim, did your dad ever tell you that he loved you?"
Jim: No
Bill: "Did your dad ever tell you that he was proud of you?"
Jim: No
Bill (sensing the need to affirm Jim): "Jim, I know how committed you are to your wife and stepson; I know how hard you worked in school and how hard you labor at your job."
Then Bill did something remarkable. He reached out his hand and said, "Jim, I'm proud of you!"

Jim: he looked out the window -- and brushed a tear from his eye.

After landing, Jim lingered and at the end he handed his business card and said: "Bill, I'd like to know more about this King of yours. I may want to work for Him, too."

I know that many men (myself included) would be very much influenced if someone like Bill would have reached out to men in unsaved state. What a witness and we need more men like Bill. And I and my sons need to be more like Bill. Hmm, I guess this is what Jesus had in mind when He said "Go and make disciples..."

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?