Wednesday, April 05, 2006

 

Father's guidance

I posted one example in my other blog but here's another: Lorena Ochoa in her "Success Takes Hard Work, Dedication, and Faith" talks about her father as the first and foremost influence in taking up golf. How much would it have been better for her if she was focused on something more meaningful like getting married and having children? I mean she's proud of her record setting golf score (which will get broken in the future), of all the things!

Her article is one of many at Yahoo's IMOW (international museum of women) which a friend pointed out with Lisa Ling's "I'll Take Being Single Over 'Prince Charming' and a Picket Fence" (Ling pointed out in her earlier article about her parents' divorce at 7).

Funny how for me, I grew up in a rather conservative church (a protestant denomination) but the worldly influence was so strong (and weak or ineffective influence from my parents) that I thought that getting married while not having children was a good thing, too. [I got the sex only in marriage part down but not the logical conclusion of having children: be fruitful and multiply.]

Unfortunately for me, my father came from divorced parents, too, so he wasn't taught (nor mentored by other men) on how things should be done. Plus he didn't surround himself with men who might be able to help him (as far as I can remember). I've been fortunate to get plug into a church in Austin with strong men's ministry (when few hundred men show up 6AM in the morning to study the Bible, it is very inspiring). This blog won't exist without the kick start it helped me -- as you can read my other posts, I've wandered away from what they teach and where I want to be [which I think is a good thing].

My point? Whatever you emphasize in your life as a father is what your children will get and live out. Monkey see, monkey do. So be careful of what you choose.

Personally, I'd like to think I stand with Joshua:
But if serving the LORD seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your forefathers served beyond the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the LORD. Joshua 24:15
But only time will tell....

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?