Sunday, February 26, 2006

 

Death of prophets

In my quiet time I've started Hebrews and here's what stood out:
In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe. Heb 1:1,2
So I guess people have used this as a basis for not having prophets today -- at least among some Christians.

Update 2/26: The church I currently attend believes that prophecy died with the apostles but obviously I don't fully agree. On the other hand, the prophets I hear about and have heard in Pentecostal churches, I don't see as the Biblical prophets since they lack the predictive falsification of future events:
You may say to yourselves, "How can we know when a message has not been spoken by the LORD ?" If what a prophet proclaims in the name of the LORD does not take place or come true, that is a message the LORD has not spoken. That prophet has spoken presumptuously. Do not be afraid of him. Deut 18:21-22
[I'm not sure where I'm going -- I'm still not done with my prophet studies!]

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?