Sunday, September 10, 2006

 

Not Turning the Other Cheek

I was taught that:
But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. Matthew 5:39
But today as I was reading "No More Christian Nice Guy" the author pointed out:
When Jesus said this, one of the officials nearby struck him in the face. "Is this the way you answer the high priest?" he demanded. "If I said something wrong," Jesus replied, "testify as to what is wrong. But if I spoke the truth, why did you strike me?" John 18:22,23
I've read this over many times and was even vaguely aware of the paradox, but here is a quite a contrast between "turning the other cheek" and Jesus "talking back" to His accusers. Jesus was obviously not a Nice Guy. What was He thinking? I've heard many explanations of what Matthew 5:38-48 really means [both pro-war and anti-war] but today I'm not sure how to take it.

Copyright 2006, DannyHSDad, All Rights Reserved.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?